This morning in Bible study we will be discussing Psalm 77. Author Kathleen Nielson has titled this chapter of her Psalms: Songs Along the Way workbook, The Way of Remembering. In this Psalm, the psalmist is miserable, distressed, overwhelmed, and nearly frantic with heartache and trouble. He questions the Lord’s grace and doubts His love. In verse 11, however, he determines to remember the deeds of the Lord, to contemplate His all His work and His wonders of old. As he does so, he rejoices in God’s might and power and then ends the psalm with exultant confidence in the Lord’s provision and guidance:
Persevering in the fight against despair by remembering God’s past faithfulness builds our faith and crushes our doubts. How easily I forget the Lord’s many works on my behalf! This morning I will ask my fellow Bible students to share some of the mighty deeds He has accomplished for them. We will rejoice together in the faithfulness of our God and humbly acknowledge His power and His sovereignty. We will encourage one another with the truth that God sees, He knows, He acts, and He will indeed be faithful in ways we cannot imagine. His way is holy; what god is so great like our God?
As I contemplate the way of remembering, I offer to you some of the countless wonders the Lord has done in me and in my life:
- He gave me a wonderful, amazing husband, a Georgia boy just as my mom prayed for, a good man, a godly man who loves me with an unwavering tenacity and serves the Lord Jesus with humble integrity
- He gave me four wonderful, beautiful children and fills my lack as a mother with much, much grace
- He led me to a ladies’ Bible study when I had never, no ever participated in anything similar, and He rocked my world with the realization that the Bible could be studied and known
- He prompted a friend to encourage me to begin a Bible study group on my own
- He brought me (us) through the heartbreak and grief of a church split, only to show us He is able to do more than we can ask or imagine
- He has granted me a group of friends and sisters in the Lord who encourage me and love me and sharpen me
- He has been kind to me in bringing conviction and exposing my sin and reminding me of how desperately I need the gospel daily, hourly, minute by minute
- He reached down and in tender condescension answered the desperate longings of a little girl horrified by her sin and wanting so desperately to belong to Him
Grace, grace, God’s grace. Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside. Miracles every one of them–why? Because I am wretched and sinful, undeserving of anything but death. How can He bless me so? I am overwhelmed by His goodness to me. I was dead in my sin and transgressions yet God because of His great love saved me and blessed me with every spiritual blessing in Christ. Amazing grace, how sweet the sound!
For the past three weeks, we at my church have heard the joyful testimonies of prospective members. How exciting! And so encouraging! I can’t help it–I have tears in my eyes every time, this past Sunday even more so. How I love to hear others tell the story. How my faith is built and my courage kindled. How much cause I have to rejoice in the goodness and grace of my Savior!
What wonders has the Lord done on your behalf? Tell us so that we too may set our hope in God, the only One worthy! He is so good, glory to His name!